Tuesday, December 25, 2012


The year was 1998 and the tattered piece of paper was inadvertently left on the counter and I saw the Christmas shopping list my babygirl had written in childlike letters:

Lacey-Game
Dad-Socks
Mom-“Dimond” ring

And my Momma heart melted. I knew the budget could do the game and the socks (we still laugh about this) but obviously no diamond ring could be purchased. What was in her heart just didn’t measure up to her gift-giving budget! Ever been there? Ever long to give an amazing gift but what you could muster up just didn’t convey your heart? Well this was the conundrum that Janelle was in, although she had no clue.

Well, I went to the store and bought the game, the socks and nicest “dimond” ring I could find, wrapped them in shiny paper, had Lee tag them and then lovingly placed them under our glistening tree. Lee whispered to Janelle that the ring was purchased and her excitement grew as the days in December ticked along! By the time Christmas morning rolled around she could barely contain herself and you know, neither could I! What my Momma heart most desired was for my babygirl’s generous heart to be allowed to give me something that in her mind conveyed her great love for me. I opened that package and ooohed and awwwed not over a ring that held a heart-shaped piece of glass, but over watching a loving heart’s desire for someone else being realized.

She never knew that I had made her gift to me possible and funny thing is; it made it all the more precious to me! It was a gift of my love that enabled her to express her love. It was a sacred and joyous moment because it was reminiscent of that holy night where the Father gift of love meant that we could now express our love for Him! He gave what truly was His very best-His only Son! The gift of Jesus fully conveyed the workings of His loving heart and that in turn allows us to convey the workings of our heart to Him-and the amazing circle of love goes round and round! “This is love: not that we loved God, but that He (first) loved us and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.” I John 4:10 Oh for the unspeakably glorious gift found only in the face of Jesus!

So today as we celebrate His birth on this holy day, may we who call upon Him in faith in that priceless gift, in turn give back to Him the only gift that we truly possess; may we give the gift of us; for us in intimate relationship with Him is at the top of His “Wish List” because the gift of Y-O-U is what He most longs to see under His “tree” at Calvary!

Happy, happy, most blessed birthday Jesus! And the gift goes on and on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what is on your heart today! What has the Father been speaking to YOU?