Wednesday, December 19, 2012



Simple Trust (Part Two)

“As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:9 (NIV)
Last week I shared how my bad day found me at the park, where there was nothing to lift my discouraged heart but a dog chasing a rubber ball. I felt like that dog was living my life as she chased the ball for what I thought was no good reason. Finally the Lord opened my heart to how my lack of trust was hindering the joy in my life.

Well, I was still at the park but by now, my gaze was fixed on this dog and her master. What did this almost giddy dog know that I didn’t? What did she see that I couldn’t (or wouldn’t)?

As I watched I realized that she had recently had puppies. And it dawned on me that her master was actually blessing her with an opportunity to release pent up energy, to exercise her heart, strengthen existing muscles, build new muscle and develop stamina. What I saw as meaningless was actually brimming with purpose! I also recognized that all of this was taking place on the inside; unseen by the natural eye. And I began to ponder if God was using the “meaninglessness” of my everyday life to work something on the inside; something unseen to the natural eye-something that was “brimming with purpose”.

I started wondering if God in all His infinite wisdom had ordained these mundane tasks in my life to help prepare me for the sacred tasks that His plan held. What if these ordinary events were His proving ground, preparing me for the extraordinary plans He has and I was missing it?

Of course the dog had no such thoughts; she only loved her master and was willing to chase the ball for the sole purpose of being with him. If he threw it, she trusted him enough to chase it with no questions asked and she could be, would be happy about it. The “light” finally came on and I realized that this was exactly where I had lost my way. I wanted meaning, rationale. Before I would chase the ball I wanted answers and revelations of exactly what He was working in my life.

My ability or should I say my willingness to rejoice “in everything” was held back by my prerequisite of meaning and understanding. My trust was conditional upon God “explaining Himself” to my satisfaction. Have you ever been there? My heart was saying “Why are You asking me to do these things?” and “How does this fit Your plan?”  But He was simply tossing the ball and asking me to trust His heart-without explanations.

I had an agenda, but whenever I choose to set aside my agenda and turn my focus from the questions of my heart and onto Him; chasing the ball becomes a place of rejoicing instead of a point of contention. Do I have it all down? No, but when the everydayness of my life threaten to overwhelm me and suck the sparkle right out; I remember the dog and I choose to “chase the ball” with a lightness in my heart and joy in my step, knowing that His plan and His timing are worth the wait and the effort!

I realize that His ways are above my ways and His thoughts above mine, so I set aside my preconditions and relinquish my plan to His. And I choose rejoicing over confusion and frustration; fostering contentment in every task He puts in my path. I am coming to know more deeply His joy as I willingly chase the ball wherever He tosses it; retrieving it and laying it and myself at His feet; soaking in His sweet presence until He throws it again.
Well I gotta run; I hear my Master calling my name and I think I got me some ball to chase-wanna come?

Papa God, Please continue to remind me that walking out Your plan for my life isn’t dependent on me understanding everything You ask me to do. And that my greatest joy can be released when I choose to trust in the beauty of Your plan. I set aside my agenda in exchange for trusting Your loving heart and hand and all that they hold for me. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what is on your heart today! What has the Father been speaking to YOU?