Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Although God spoke this particularly to Israel, it also applies to us in a more general sense. "Ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people; for all the earth is mine" (Exodus19:5).
I laughed out loud when I read this verse and I said to no one in particular “I could be a poster child for this verse...I am nothing if not peculiar” : )
Now don’t get me wrong I am not “knocking” myself, just taking a healthy dose of reality...I am a little peculiar and in case you haven’t realized it...I am happy to inform you that YOU may just be too!
Peculiar. It’s an unusual word...it’s fun to say...try it with me...seven times REALLY fast and look how it’s spelled P-E-C-U-L-I-A-R. It almost looks like>peck you liar...which could, but thankfully won’t come into play later in this blog : )
Is it bad to be peculiar? The world thinks so! They’ve come up with alternate words to soften the blow of being peculiar...they say “eccentric”, “idiosyncratic”, “distinctive” and my favorite “quirky”. However what they usually really mean is “odd”, “strange” and “weird” lol
In fact the dictionary defines peculiar as “Strange, odd, unusual” or “slightly and indefinably unwell” (See I told you!)
The world is uncomfortable with peculiar people, it tells us to conform, to be just like everyone else. And sometimes we buy into that. We change how we dress, the way we cut our hair, the words we use, and even sometimes the friendships we cultivate, all to fit in. But I gotta tell you being like everyone else is way overrated! God made each of us unique. Admittedly some of us more unique than others : )
I know I’m peculiar; some prime examples include my aversion of opening the refrigerated biscuits that come in a tube. Now rationally I know that they won’t actually harm me...but I still call Lee into the kitchen to open them for me>peculiar. Another one is my dislike for wooden pencils, I dunno why I don’t like the feel of them, I guess it’s just me being peculiar...again : ). I’m sure I have more peculiarities that I could bore you with...but I’d rather hear about YOURS in the comment box...because I feel certain that yours are way more interesting than mine: )
I am poking fun at my “specialness” but the truth is not only does the world want us to conform; the enemy of our souls takes every one of our “uniquities” (this falls into the “not a real word, but should be” category and if you have your own blog, you too, can make up words at will: ) and tries to use them as a weapon against us. He whispers to us; “If people knew the real you, they’d reject you, If others saw how different you _____ they’d avoid you.” (Insert nearly anything here like “think”, “act”, “feel” etc) and my personal favorite “If you were only like (insert any name here) people would accept you.”  Satan is adept at taking what God intended to be a blessing and twisting it into something ugly, something that divides us instead of bringing us together.
Sure Papa could’ve made us like cookie cutter people, all the same. But He didn’t. Did you ever wonder why? I have. It’d be easier at times if I was just like everyone else, but how incredibly boring would that be for God and for us?! Besides, it is the diversity of who God created us to be that brings beauty and color into our world. When faced with the choice, dare to be different and pick peculiarity!  
Earlier we looked at the negative definitions of peculiar, but thankfully it also lists it as “belonging exclusively to” and “particular; special” and it’s these second definitions that remind us that being peculiar is actually a good thing in God’s eyes and has always been a part of the Father’s plan in our creation!
The Father intentionally designed you-which means your life has great meaning! You weren’t some “happy accident”, in fact; YOU were first birthed in the heart of God! If we dusted you for fingerprints we’d find His fingerprints all over you! So we are His exclusive treasure because we belong solely to Him! In Him we have the freedom to be peculiarly special!
He actively chose to make us distinctive, because each of us was created to showcase a different facet of who God is. Like a single facet on a matchless diamond, each life was brought into being to display His glory in a way that is peculiarly its own. You are His rare jewel, His Masterpiece; because you are a “piece” of the Master!
When He crafted you, Papa in His wisdom placed within you every gift and talent needed to accomplish His perfect plan for you. No one in this present, past or future world has ever or will ever have exactly the same mix of gifts, talents and life experiences as you. So just like your fingerprints; you are unique and irreplaceable! 
That means that you are peculiarly qualified to bring honor to the Father by walking out His plan for your life. No one else can walk it out like you or for you! It is our divine purpose to showcase a small facet of who He is: but only if we choose to be peculiar! Peculiar? Yeah, I’m peculiar and I hope you are too!
Let’s pray...
Papa, Thank You for actively creating us to show forth a unique facet of who You are to the people You cause to cross our paths! Help us to see that we are a product of our Your love and creativity...strengthen us to walk out this life’s journey in a God-honoring way that peculiarly showcases who You are! In Jesus name, amen.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Sis, I really enjoyed this Blog. I believe I’ve read it 4 times now and got something new each time. It’s comforting to know God loves me so much that he created me to be unique in my own way from everyone else.
    P.S. I’ve returned the pencils I had gotten for you and will get you a catcher’s mask for those pesky refrigerator biscuits.

    Love You
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick, Yes, the depth of the love of God for every individual is breathtaking (and we haven't scratched the surface of it). We know that the Lord loves the world...that's His "job"...but to fathom how He loves each person boggles the mind!
      Love you!

      PS The mask just might come in handy lol

      Delete
    2. Keep up the good words! Love ya!

      Delete

I'd love to hear what is on your heart today! What has the Father been speaking to YOU?