Thursday, October 24, 2013


Naked?

It was a plaintiff wail that could be heard throughout the department store dressing room; “I’m naaaaaked! Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Over and over a little toddler shouted these two words at the top of her lungs. She wouldn’t stop saying it, even though her mom certainly tried to get her to. lol

And I began thinking about the fact that even at a very young age humans feel that there are things that should remain covered or hidden. It also reminded me of bathing suit season! Now if you know me you are probably aware that I LOVE to shop! It doesn’t matter what I’m shopping for…it could be groceries, car parts, clothes or a special gift for a treasured friend. BUT the ONE and only thing I don’t like shopping for is bathing suits! I mean think about it; you spend nine months out of the year dressing to hide your figure flaws, so why in the world would I want to call attention to them now? Yes, in my opinion some things should remain under cover and apparently I’m not alone in this. lol

And if we were being honest, most of us would have to admit that there are important ways we all try to hide who we are-from God and from each other. God made each of us incredibly unique. In all the world, throughout marked time there has never been anyone who has the exactly the same gifts, talents and life experiences as you! Truly, there is no one like you and that is by God’s design. But if He lovingly, purposefully, uniquely created the many facets of who you are…then why are we forever hiding our real self? As I always told my sweet daughters growing up; “You make a poor imitation of anyone else.” The world has never seen anyone quite like you…so be brave and remove a few of the masks that are hiding who He created you to be!

Will everyone love and accept you? No, maybe not…but that is ok. Being honest though, I haven’t always felt that way. In fact, it amazes me to think that until I was in my late 20’s I actually believed that if I was nice enough, kind enough and friendly enough that everyone would like me. But there will always be those who will not choose or love you…but dare to be uncovered and let that change the world around you! The person He crafted on the inside was expressly created to showcase a unique facet of God’s character…so take the risk and let it shine!  When you feel afraid and want to remain “safe” behind the veil of concealment, just remember that one person’s freedom can spark a hope of freedom for countless others…be that one!

After a while I could hear this exasperated mom telling her daughter “No, you are NOT naked…I am.” and I began to think about the fact that sometimes it is not only our own nakedness that we are uncomfortable with. Sometimes just the thought of others “disrobing” a part of who they are can leave us feeling apprehensive…perhaps because then we may feel like we need to “follow suit”. lol We can take the attitude; “If you stay covered then I can too.” But God is calling us into transparent relationships with trusted others. Now I am not advocating that we share every facet of our lives with everyone we meet…but DO find some trusted others that you can be real with.

And what about God? Are we living transparent before Him or are we like Adam who tried to fashion his own covering for what he perceived were the unlovely parts of who he was and what he’d done? But there came a time when the fig leaves had to come off, so that he and Eve could be clothed with God’s provision-because man’s efforts can never begin to cover or cleanse our shame…only a living intimate relationship with our Creator can do that. And besides He already knows everything about you and me!

Don’t believe me? Hebrews 4:13 shares; “And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do. And Proverbs 5:21 states; “For your ways are in full view of the LORD, and He examines all your paths.” And God Himself is described in Genesis 16:14 as EL ROI; the God who sees. Yes, He sees us with a perfect precision…He knows everything about you and me and still He pursues us! He is well acquainted with our many flaws and weaknesses, as well as our strengths and talents…there is nothing hidden from Him. Yet we present ourselves before Him clothed in our own fig leaves of human efforts, as we desperately try to cover up the unlovely places of our lives and thereby miss the joys of His acceptance and unconditional love.

Oh that we would see that there is a unique freedom in being transparent with the Lover of our soul! And we can only connect with Him to the degree that we are willing to be naked before Him. Of course that takes trust that we will not be rejected when we uncover the most private parts of who we are. But He can grow that trust in us…if we’ll let Him. Just ask…pour out your heart before Him…don’t hold anything back. He knows it all anyway. And praise God that He who knows us best, still loves us most!!!

This day may you come to know His great and affirming love as you willingly uncover the secret places that you had forever purposed to remain hidden.  And as you do…may you experience the glorious freedom that only His righteous covering can provide. May you bask in the everlasting, unconditional love that longs to embrace you with great delight! May you walk in His divine freedom knowing that He is actively fashioning the unlovely places in you to bring Him the most honor and glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what is on your heart today! What has the Father been speaking to YOU?